If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pad Thai (Thai style fried rice noodles)


Finally I took out a packet of dried rice noodles that have been sitting for too long in the pantry. It was brought back from last Bangkok trip. Since it still looks good (can't see the expiry date), so no think twice, I quickly cook this popular Thai style fried rice noodles- Pad Thai.


pt14 copy

 
I learned how to cook Pad Thai from this lady at the Floating market..
pt8

 
This was the best Pad Thai I have ever eaten. After tried few times in other restaurants in Bangkok and local Thai restaurant, i still couldn't find one to beat with her yummy Pad Thai.
pt9
Actually it requires quite a lot of ingredients to cook this noodles
 
pt10

pt13 copy

 
Recently i gotten a good cast iron wok to work for all stir fry and deep fry foods. It is so easy to use and after 1 month of using it, it turned to non-stick, perfectly for stir fry noodles, like "Tai Chow"..Next time i share with you how to "season" a cast iron wok and how to maintain this wok.
pt20.jpg

 
How to enjoy this noodle? simply mix it up together, and squeeze some lime juices on it, then enjoy !
pt16



Pad Thai (Thai style fried rice noodles)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

165g Thai dried rice noodles
100g bean sprouts
pt11 copy 30g chives, cut 1" length
70g prawns
1 egg
15g carrot, shredded
1/2pc firm tofu, deep fried and sliced
3 shallots, chopped
50g preserved radish (Choy Poh), chopped

Sauce ingredients
1tbsp white sugar or brown sugar
1/2tsp salt
15g tamarind paste, dissolved in 1/4cup water
1/2tsp dark soy sauce
1 1/2tsp fish sauce

20g roasted peanuts
Limes wedges
1tbsp chili flakes

Method

  1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir well to mix.
  2. Add in dried rice noodles into boiling water and turn heat to medium low (take about 3mins to soften).
  3. At the same time, heat oil in a wok, sauté chopped shallots till aroma.
  4. Add in prawns, stir fry till colour changed. Then add in chopped preserved radish and carrot, stir to mix well.
  5. Push the prawn mixture to a side, add little oil, then add in egg, scramble the egg.
  6. Drain the rice noodles and add into the wok, mix well with other ingredients, pour in the sauce, fry and toss the noodles to well mix. Taste-test for seasoning, adding more fish sauce until desired flavor is reached.
  7. Add in bean sprouts, chives and fried tofu, continue to frying or until noodles are cooked.
  8. Dish out, and top with roasted peanuts, lime wedges and chili flakes.

35 comments:

Joceline Lor said...

Wow, Sonia, you are really good for cook. Like !

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

明年我要再去曼谷
最近都在做功课
现在看到你这个
简直口水流满地

Mel said...

Look too good to resist...... sometimes the road side stalls taste much more yummier than those high end restaurant right? Only if we know where to find. Thank you for sharing with us.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Wow, if I could have your that plate of noddle to eat, how nice :)

shaz said...

Looks great as usual :) somehow noodles like these always hit the spot. Just like how char kway tiao in any version does.

Esther Lau said...

Oooo...When I saw the first photo I already "lao hao sui", till the last photo my shirt already wet by hao sui, haha...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, may I know where you bought your cast iron wok? Have been sourcing around for at good and 'healthy' to use wok for a while but still cannot find one.

Any idea what is the plus points for using cast iron wok?

Many thanks.

ann low said...

I also can't resist to have this Thai rice noodles but must with lots of roasted peanuts and chilli flakes.

Victoria bakes said...

I'm gonna cook this I'm gonna cook this!! I can't catch up with u..... U r too good... U r bringing us on a world tour with different cuisines and pictures from everywhere..... Just love it...

said...

哇!挤上那酸柠檬汁超赞的,喜欢喜欢♥
谢谢分享:D

柠檬叶 said...

是啊,Sonia,教我怎么买铁锅吧,只知道铁锅很好.但我既不会挑选也不会使用,你能教我们真好啊~~~期待哦!
你只要看一次这位老板炒pad thai就学会了,偷师功夫了得啊~ 哈哈哈... 好赞的~
我是新手,来一步步听你分解慢慢学,这样比较容易点,哈哈哈...
看起来太好吃了,我先拿走一碟回家吃罗!!!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这道好吃, 很赞!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

I love Thai food and the rice noodles looks amazing.
Deepa

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

One of my favourite Thai Food. Yummy :)

divya said...

wow .. look gorgeous and super tempting....

chow and chatter said...

looks perfect one of my favorite dishes

Sally said...

我没有吃过这面,有加花生的,
一定又香又好吃。。:)

PH said...

Sonia, that is fantastic plate of pad thai! Wish I can eat some now. Waiting to learn how to season the wok :)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, this Pad Thai looks good! i love pad thai, yours one i believe is as good as the one selling outside!

Gloria Fernandes said...

Yummy n tempting ...

Veronica said...

Sonia, Pad Thai one plate please. Yours look so so so delicious. This is one of my favourite Thai dish. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous, you can get cast iron wok from those Chinese crockery shop where they selling those bowls, plates & etc.

Jozelyn Ng said...

Your Pad Thai looks so yummy!

Jane Chew said...

will try this out soon. Me n my son love this very much.

LiLleaf8853 said...

Looks delish! Makes me want some pad Thai. Love pad thai. Some places make it taste plain and not good. But I've made diff pad Thai's and they turned out yummy. So I can't wait to try your recipe.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

I'm salivating over your pad thai...looks so moist and tasty! Will try out the recipe next time. Nice of the lady to show you how to make it :)

Cecilia Yap said...

My favourite too, yours look delicious.

Unknown said...

Your Pad Thai sure looks yummilicious! Makes me crave for Thai food.

Anonymous said...

i love non oily pad thai like yours Sonia.....
Simply drolling me!

Sissi said...

No wonder your pad thai looks so fabulous! You have learnt it the best way: at a street stall! I have had so many awful pad thais in restaurants... I must try preparing it on my own! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

lena said...

yum! one of my favourites. I intend to change my wok too, the current one that i'm using hor..the heat distribution seems not so good already.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I'm currently using stainless steel wok and not really good for stir frying noodles , no matter how hot it is by the time I put on something it'll still stick to it *sigh* Your pad Thai looks like the one they have at those food stalls in Thailand !

Lee Meng See said...

Dear Sonia, I have been using your recipes with great joy. Today I tried the pad thai and i taste just fabulous. I made some adaptation ie I added some chilly paste to the frying as we like it spicy. It is good. Thank You ,
Meng See

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, thanks for the recipe. I replaced the tamarind paste with lemon juice and it turns out to be as nice as the phad thai using tamarind paste. My cravings is satisfied.

Unknown said...

It's so delicious! I made my own version of Pad Thai. My boyfriend loves it so much! Check it here http://www.follow-fantasy.com/Cooking/Authentic-Vegetable-Pad-Thai-with-Basil-and-Tofu-under-30-steps

Blog Widget by LinkWithin